Friday, July 4, 2014

Making Sex Believable in Books

Making Sex Believable in Books
By: Sophie Slade

When first I started writing erotic romance, I thought, “Write a sex scene? Sure! No problem! Easy!” But it was a bit more difficult than I thought.
First, I wrote a sex scene and I thought it sounded good. Yeah. Okay. Then, I read it to my husband and everything was great!
In the spirit of research (clears throat) I read another erotica book and the beginning was inspiring! The characters hadn’t even touched each other, but the author crafted the scene so expertly that it was extremely hot … and, again, they hadn’t even touched each other! I read it to my husband and, hell yeah! It was hot with a capital H!
What did I learn from it? I learned to think about every touch, every look, and every feeling that the characters feel. And, as the author, you need to feel it, too.
When I write action scenes, I learned to slow down the action within my mind, and then I can write the action scene effectively. The same holds true with writing sex scenes. You have to slow down the action within your mind, think about every touch, every emotion, every breath, everything … and then include it all in your writing.
After that lesson, I went back over my sex scenes, slowed them down within my mind, added more detail and feeling, and they were HOT … with a capital H!
***
Sophie Slade’s first erotic romance TOUCHED BY A VAMPIRE (ETERNALLY YOURS BOOK ONE) is coming soon.


Visit Sophie Slade's author page, Sophie Slade-Author,

and on her Web site, Sophie Slade books: http://www.sophiesladebooks.com/

2 comments: